Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No More Tears

I think it's time I clear some things up. I made a rule when I started this blog that I wouldn't talk about people. What I mean by this, is that I don't want to exploit anyone, and believe it or not, I don't want to divulge too much about my privacy. What I am saying is that these activities that I partake in are NOT done solo. A lot of you have told me that you think it's great how I am doing all of these things alone. Sometimes I attend things alone, but for the most part, I have friends with me. I just don't want to talk about them, and make them feel uncomfortable. So assume from now on that when I say "I," I mean "we."

Now that I have addressed that, as I mentioned in one of my first blogs, I have had the pleasure of seeing quite a few movies. I still prefer the Sundance Theater because their movies are mostly independent, and slightly more thoughtful than the average movie. After seeing a few "heavy" movies there, I saw that "House Bunny" movie, or whatever the hell it's called. It was odd, because after seeing some insightful movies, I left the theater (or I should say "we" because I saw it with someone!), forgetting that I even saw a movie. I am sort of not used to that feeling after viewing more philosophical films.

For example, I saw "Man on Wire," on September 10th, ironically. This is a documentary about a Frenchman (I am a francophile, if you didn't know), who is an idealist with some sort of an addictive personality, who was determined to walk on a metal cable between the twin towers in 1974. It is a fascinating story. So much of it is about the grand plan to execute this mission, with help from some American confederates, in addition to some of his french allies. It is a moving and beautiful picture, especially on the eve of the seventh anniversary (when I saw it). There is a ton of footage of the Trade Center, but the trauma that happened there in 2001 is not addressed. Leaving this movie, I found myself really reflecting on it. I was asking all sorts of questions - How did these people have the time and money to accompany him? Did he have sponsors? How many hours a day was he practicing for this? What would a psychologist diagnose him with? (That last one was a joke....)

Not only was I wondering about the event that occurred in 1974, but seeing so many clips of the World Trade Center, I contemplated everything that happened in 2001. Just weeks before, my dad, a New Yorker, and one of my sisters, also a New Yorker (I was the only child born in Ohio), drove us by the buildings, remembering when they were being constructed. It was only weeks later, on September 10, 2001, (And yes, girls, I remember what I was wearing, and I still wear the shirt), I can recall that entire day like it was yesterday. When I remind my close friends from college what we did that day, they ask me how I can retain that day so well. It's simple for me, because of the drastic change in our moods. We went from care free to freaked out. I can still feel the drastic difference from September 10, 2001, to the following morning, I kid you not. One of my closest friends and roommates was directly connected to that event, and when I think about it now, I get more emotional than I did when it happened.

I suppose what I was trying to say is that these heavier movies are more thought provoking, but I went off on a little tangent. Now, I also saw "Burn After Reading," and that was an enjoyable film. From what I have seen of the Coen brothers, they have yet to disappoint me. I also saw this at the Sundance Theater. It's cleverly written, with their usual twist and turns, and interwoven stories, violence, and humor. I thought about it after I saw it, even though it's not anything too deep (and I also snuck in a water bottle of wine - they sell it there, but why not BYOB?)

The entire reason I wanted to write this post, which has become more of a stress reliever for me, and a journal, although I can't write "Dear Diary," or talk about anything personal, is because I wanted to discuss that since I have moved here in July, I have yet to cry! I don't think I have shed a tear. At times, I am a sobber, (I didn't say sober...) and it just occurred to me that I haven't had any teardrops from my eyes before I went to see the most horrible movie, "Nights in Rodanthe."

So, my friend read the book, and she was excited to see the film. I thought it was just going to be some chick flick, where I could admire Diane Lane's beauty and Richard Gere's sexiness. I have always, always, always though Diane Lane was a horrible actress, although very sexy. Ditto for Gere. My friend informed me as we were getting frozen custard that the movie is a tear jerker, and so we stuffed all these napkins in my huge purse. We watched the movie, and from the beginning, I couldn't stop laughing out loud because the acting was so horrendous, and the lines so cheesy. I mean CHEESY! It was so terrible. I think the people around me must have thought I was drunk or something, because I couldn't stop laughing, even during the sappy parts, when the gray haired ladies around me were wiping their tears away. (I did not bring any wine in a thermos to this particular film).

I have still yet to cry. I am sure I will at some point. Like, if there is a night where I have to stay home, and there is nothing to read, and my internet is down. Or, if a certain male/female duo is elected for president/VP. Or, if I had a boss who told me what to do. But for now, I am happy being dry eyed. And I think I have Madison to thank for that.


And if you're feeling lonesome, and if you're feeling low, go make nightmoves. (That was just some lyrics from the song I am listening to........)


No comments:

Post a Comment