Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My "new" favorite hiking destination

I cannot believe I started posting last week, and I am already getting inquiries on why I haven't blogged since Friday. Sometimes life just gets in your way, doesn't it? 

Upon my arrival to Wisconsin, I was introduced to Devil's Lake: Devilslakewisconsin.com. 
This is a state park roughly 45 minutes outside of Madison. It is a large area, (I am not sure how many acres there are), but it features camp sites, bike and hiking trails, cross country skiing, swimming, and more. I really enjoyed my visit there, and so did my dog . Even though it is a little bit of a drive (did I mention I have filled my gas tank 3 times since I moved here in July?), it is worth it. You hike along an Ice Age Trail, and the views are lovely. I have hiked there twice since my first visit. 

Last weekend, I went there (sans dog), and enjoyed a gorgeous day. The loop I did sans dog (and sans baby) took exactly an hour and a half less... By the way, the baby is not mine, it's my sister and her husband's. 

This brings me to a new topic. When being seen in public with the baby, I yell, "You are my favorite nephew!" Then, I follow up with, "Don't you love your auntie?" If an adult is around with me, I quickly hand him over to them, so nobody thinks I have a child. 

Back to my new town. So, on the way home from Devil's Lake this past Saturday, I visited a local winery called Wollersheim: Wollersheim.com. (It's 8:00 PM, and I am currently sipping on my wine purchase, a Sangiovese, 2006 - very tasty!) The setting was also spectacular. It is situated on a hill, ovelooking the Wisconsin River. In Wisconsin, you do not have to pay for alcohol samples, and there was a generous tasting in their facilities. After sampling about six options, I selected the Sangiovese because it tasted smooth, with a little "bite" to it. It has a screw top and I learned in a wine tasting class that wines with screwtops are truly superior to corked wines. 

I hope that I can utilize Devil's Lake for a little camping before the snow hits the ground. I also hope I can use Wollersheim en route to camping, to enjoy a little wine over a bonfire. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment