Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Looking Back

I know that I said at the beginning of 2009 that the new year is really no different than the year before. New Years Eve is any other night to me. But it does give us a way to separate periods in our lives. I am happy with my accomplishments and always will be. If I die now, I won't be disappointed with what I have done. I have a good life.

What I learned in 2009:

1) Americans love to blame people. It is classless and unsophisticated. Madison people are pretty good about not doing that. Here is an example:

"You gave him the wrong directions and he got lost!" - not classy (And very typical of the American culture)

Versus:

"He got lost" (We aren't blaming anyone here. See the difference?)

2) Family is so valuable.

It took me a while to get here. After years of living geographically close to my folks, I never took advantage of it. I didn't see them that often. At least I don't think I did. I didn't always talk to them that much, either. Living 500 miles away from them, I am now declaring "family time" with the local family and convincing my boyfriend to do the same. We are always having family time. And I am proud to say that my sisters are my best friends.

3) You don't always need to be near all forms of communication.

My boyfriend taught me to travel without my cell phone and without checking e-mail. I highly recommend it. I am now working on leaving my phone at home when I go out. I do not need to be reached all of the time. That's how it used to be, right?

4) Madison - Simply the Best

The best choice I ever made. Moving here.

Best books I read in 2009:

"The Help"

"The Girls from Aims"

"My Sister's Keeper"

"Everyman"

"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"

"Olive Kitteridge"

My next posting will feature my favorite blog postings from 2009.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment