Monday, May 11, 2009

Conserving Energy (and Money)

A few postings ago, I wrote about minimizing the little I have. I have not stopped thinking about it since. I am anxiously awaiting my next electric bill. I just checked when they usually arrive (online, of course - remember - save paper). It appears I will be getting my next one sometime around the 20th of the month.

Wherever I read about my appliances that were "sucking energy" and costing me money, it has greatly effected me. We are hearing a lot about this lately. And it coincides with the recession. Of course it does. My question is: Is this going to be a temporary thing or a permanent one? It would be great if people continue to be energy conscious. Whenever we start to economically turn around (I am thinking down the road here), some people may not think about their electric bills as much.

I hope it has a lasting effect. I know it has impacted my life forever. Since my "energy change," I can't get over how I had my cell phone charger plugged into the wall permanently. Just so it could draw unused power. I have 4 rooms plus a bathroom and a laundry area. In those, I have a grand total of 8 things plugged in. (This includes my washer/dryer & refrigerator). I have considered unplugging my dust buster charger, but I use it every morning and it dies quickly when it is uncharged. The other debatable item is a phone that is connected to my doorbell. Because anyone who is visiting can call me. But then I can't buzz them in. So, it's ok for now.

I advise you walk through your home and investigate what you have plugged in that needs to come out. Here are some popular items that are often plugged in when they don't need to be:

Hair dryers
Flat irons
Cell phone chargers
Power strips (with 1 or 2 outlets being used)
Toaster ovens
Coffee makers
Radios
Lamps that aren't used

I also unplug my refrigerator and television every time I leave my house. (only joking, people!)

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues when the recession ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment