Sunday, January 29, 2012

Janie Went Way Up North


Everyone in Wisconsin goes "up North" at some point. You see, apart from Madison, Wisconsinites are really big into fishing, hunting, snow mobiling and the Green Bay Packers - you know all the things you can picture me doing regularly. [Sarcasm]

Although I didn't describe my tailgating experience at the December Packer game at Lambeau, I did it. I went to a game. And the scene around Lambeau is really something.

So when I was invited to go way up North for some ice fishing in a shanty, I jumped at the chance. [Ok - maybe I didn't jump at the chance. Since I just told you that I am fairly certain that I have Raynaud's]. But I am willing to try anything. Like when my boyfriend asked me to go watch the girls at the Roller Derby a few weeks ago and I walked around and recruited a bunch of people to sign this petition for Planned Parenthood.

But me? In a shanty all day on the ice?! Of course. So, after loading up the car with my tiny bag and my large golden retriever, we were headed "Up North." Not sure really where, but I know it's just what Wisconsin people do.

As we drove out onto the ice, the wind was blowing hard. We got the shantys up quickly and some of the people we were with started drilling holes in the ice right away. After settling into the shanty and eating "beer dip" ["What is this? Is it vegetarian?", asked the little girl from Cleveland, Ohio], we sat on chairs and drank beers before noon. Welcome to Wisconsin!

I was also the only one who didn't say "Sewwww" instead of "so" and "Noooooow" instead of "no." I know that I am the one with the accent, though.

After a while, it was time to break the seal. [Oh - did I mention we were ice fishing, too? Oops]. One of the gals didn't want to use nature's restroom, so a few of us girls piled into a car and went to the town bar. Now, the town bar was full at 2:20 PM. And let me have you know that everyone turned and looked at us when we came in. They wanted to see if they knew who we were. Maybe it was their cousin's girlfriend or something - I don't know. My PBR in a glass was $.75! Yes - that is correct! That is seventy-five cents, ladies and gentleman! After a few rounds [roughly costing $5 for four women/round,] we went back to the shanty.

My boyfriend was very, very busy on the ice. He was building a "Wizard Stick" and speaking with a strange accent. None of us had heard of this before but his high school pal was easily convinced to make one as well. Oh - yeah - I forgot. We were fishing, too.

It was really cold and the sun was setting so we all packed up and went back to the cabin. Being a vegetarian from Cleveland, Ohio - I was already full from cheese curds, chips and garbage that my stomach is still giving me problems for a day later.

It was such a fun time and I look forward to doing it again next year. I can't say I caught anything, but I wasn't planning on it. Let's just say I am no natural when it comes to fishing. What's the point when you throw them back, anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment