Monday, August 3, 2009

The State of the Economy

I am in my sweats and sneakers. And a tank top. Sitting in the back of a bar. Where two of my friends are convinced that their places of employment are cutting funds resulting in the loss of their jobs. In the meantime, I am blogging and they are on my laptop, working on my social media stuff.

I have had a long day. I was at work a long time. I woke up at six. I have to run in the morning. My poor dog has hardly had me around in the past twenty four hours, which is the only reason I left work. She got to the park, but then I left immediately to help my friends who think they are victims of the economy. But the economy is ok here.

Compared to many other places in the United States, we are semi-protected. We have the state jobs and there are plenty of corporations surviving this hardship. So I guess I was disgusted when people asked me why I was moving here in the first place. Besides the obvious, the suffering is not as sad. There are jobs.

And I wasn't around when anyone could consult. That was when I was in high school and the early years of my college life. You could learn how to write HTML and charge a ridiculous rate. I never knew this feeling.

So here we are, at the back of this bar. And those two are still flipping out about their job stability while working on my crap. And I am here doing this. And the other two girls nearby are playing pool, talking about how they are going to grad school.

Did you hear about the 27 year old girl who is suing her college because she graduated with a degree in information technology and she cannot find a job? Driving to work this morning, listening to NPR, I heard about this gal. So, she wants them to reimburse her for her tuition? What has our country come to? Face reality, girl. It's not 1999! Why do we always have to blame someone else?

Or maybe she can move to Madison, Wisconsin which seems a ok - compared to the rest. Or maybe, because she studied Information Systems, her job is oversees - I dunno.

Are we at the bottom? Who knows. Since I graduated from college, I have heard that we are "bottoming out" for a while. And I graduated college in '02. Automobiles and houses are so flat right now that they won't be steering us out of the recession at a rapid pace.

But again, I would have to say that something happened in Madison that I was not used to: I came to visit in June of 2008 to determine if I wanted to move here. In the three days I was here, a house went on the market while I was visiting and when I moved here one week later, it was contingent with two offers on it...... and it closed two weeks later.

It will only get better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment