Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Vacation Should Be Just That

So, the farthest I have gone from Madison since July is to Illinois, and I am finally going to be leaving to go something like 1200 miles from here. The irony of this is that when I moved here, my sister discovered she was pregnant, and I always thought how fantastic it is that I could be nearby when she delivers, but now, I am not so sure, being that she is right around 40 weeks....

Here is the thing about a vacation. I actually had a dream about this last night. And, as I was packing up my desk yesterday, I started to bring my notebook, with my daily notes in it, and then I reminded myself, "Oh yeah - I am not a business owner anymore. If something happens, it won't need my immediate attention, so I can really take a vacation." Then, I had this dream last night that these clients desperately needed me, and I was 1200 miles away. One of my first trips as a real estate agent, I received an offer on a listing, and spent several hours of my trip working negotiations.

Shortly after I was licensed as a real estate agent, I decided to go on a cruise, because then there is no excuse to stay connected to the outside world. I couldn't. Cell phones didn't work on cruises, and e-mail is very expensive. Someone told me since then, that cell phones do work - but I don't know. Neither do I care, because I doubt I will ever go on another cruise. I really chose that vacation due to the fact that you are unreachable. I think cruises are very simple. You don't have to plan anything, it is all done for you. I also read an article in the New York Times on Sunday that gave me another reason to never cruise again. The ships are terrible for the environment.

So, why haven't I been taking vacations the old fashioned way? And why don't more people try to do just that? I have friends here who are workaholics, and some who never mention work when they aren't there. (Mostly the latter. Ok, all but one - wink, wink)

I am perfectly comfortable going away while my sister may very well deliver. While we are together all of the time, it is unfortunate that there is a good chance that I may not even know she is in labor. But, what difference is it going to make in the long run? I can't do anything for her. I can't push the baby out. Can't administer the drugs. Won't be cutting any cords. If the baby comes, I will be back soon enough.

And so, even though there is a chance this could all happen while I am away, I will be phoneless and computerless. No facebook. No twitter. No texting. Certainly no blogging. This is my last one for now. My sister knows where I am staying, if she wants to try to hunt me down. But, there is nothing I can do about whatever happens outside of my bubble. If you die, you will still be dead when I come back. So maybe we should all think about the importance of really disconnecting, and leave all modern technology behind. Isn't that what we all did 15 years ago??

No comments:

Post a Comment